Click here for a PDF file of my complete CV.
Fitchburg State University (2013-Present): Assistant Professor, English
Central Connecticut State University (2008-2013): Assistant Professor, English and Director of Composition
Lehigh University (Fall 2005-Spring 2008): Teaching Fellow, English Department
Assistant to the Director of Writing (Fall 2007 to Spring 2008)
Writing Tutor, Center for Writing and Math, Fall 2006 to Spring 2008
Rowan University (Fall 2002-Spring 2004): Adjunct Instructor, Department of Composition and Rhetoric, College of Communication
Recovering What We’ve Lost: Essays on Memory in Post-Apocalyptic and Dystopian Tales (edited collection under contract with McFarland & Company Publishers; manuscript delivery, 2015)
Essays on Memory in Popular Culture (edited collection under contract with McFarland & Company Publishers; manuscript delivery, 2015)
The Science Fiction Reboot: Canon, Innovation and Fandom in Refashioned Franchises (McFarland & Company Publishers; 2013)
Writing and the Digital Generation: Essays on New Media Rhetoric (McFarland & Company Publishers, 2010)
Plagues, Apocalypses and Bug-Eyed Monsters: How Speculative Fiction Shows Us Our Nightmares (McFarland & Company Publishers, 2007)
“Crying at the ‘Slick’ Stuff: The Development of a Pop Culture Scholar,” On the Verge of Tears: Why the Movies, Television, Music, Art, Popular Culture, Literature, and the Real World Make Us Cry (Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2010)
“The Well-Fed Fan: The Role of Blogs and Podcasting in the Success of Grey’s Anatomy.” Grace Under Pressure: Grey’s Anatomy Uncovered (Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2008)
Articles and Proceedings
“The Promise and Peril of Rebooting A Beloved Franchise: A Narratological Analysis,” Proceedings from Speculative Frontiers: Reading, Seeing, Being, Going, a Mini-Conference on Science Fiction (held as part of Renovation, the 69th World Science Fiction Convention, August 2011 in Reno, Nevada)
“The Technology Journal.” Compendium 2 1.1 (Spring 2008)
“The Marriage Negotiations.” John Gower’s Transformation of the “Tale of Constance” from Nicholas Trevet’s “Of the Noble Lady Constance.” Ed. Peter Beidler. John Gower Society website (<www.johngower.org>, 2006)
Narrative analysis of Franchises (Marvel Cinematic Universe; Hunger Games; and Once Upon a Time)
Ph.D., English, Lehigh University, September 2008.
- Major Field: Composition.
- Minor Field: Science Fiction.
- Dissertation: “‘I Hate to Write! I Can’t Do It!’ First-Year Composition and the Resistant Student Writer”; Barry Kroll, dissertation director.
Master of Arts, Writing, Rowan University, May 2003.
- Specialization: Composition and Rhetoric.
- Thesis: “Nightmares: The Function of Speculative Fiction as Cautionary Tale”; Diane (Penrod) Gavin, advisor.
Bachelor of Science summa cum laude, Business Administration, Rowan University, May 1997.
- Specialization: Accounting.
ACADEMIC SERVICE AND ACTIVITIES (selected)
- Reviewer, Rhetoric Society Quarterly
- Discussion Leader, Research Network Forum, CCCC (2011; 2012; 2013).
- Summer Bridges Writing Institute Administrator (2008-2012).
- Composition Committee (Chair), English Department, CCSU (2008-2013).
- Assessment Committee and Curriculum Committee, English Department, CCSU (2009-2013).
- Advising Committee, English Department, CCSU (2011-2013).
- First-Year Experience Peer Leader Program, CCSU (2010-2012).
- Writing Across the Curriculum Committee (chair of Research Sub-Committee), Faculty Senate, CCSU, (2010-2013).
- English Department Faculty Presentation Series (2010; 2011).
- CTDLC-Davis Foundation E-media Grant Committee (2009-10).
- Connecticut State University System Writing Proficiency Committee (2008-10).
GRANTS AND AWARDS
- Best Paper, Faculty/Independent Scholar; Science Fiction Area of Popular Culture/American Culture Association 2015 Conference.
- CSU System Faculty-Student Research Grant, 2011-12.
- Dean’s Research Initiative Grant, 2011-12.
- CSU System Faculty Research Grant, 2010-11; 2011-12; 2012-13.
- CSU Summer Curriculum Development Grant, 2009; 2011; 2012.
- CSU Faculty Development Grant, 2009; 2010; 2011.
- Teaching Fellowship, Lehigh University, 2005 to 2008.
- Dissertation Fellowship, Lehigh University, Fall 2007.
- Dean’s Fellowship, Lehigh University, 2004-05.
PROFESSIONAL WORK EXPERIENCE
Consulting Services and Investigations, LLC, Bethlehem, PA: Freelance technical writer/copy-editor (May 2007 to present).
The Vanguard Group of Investment Companies, Malvern, PA
- Risk Management Analyst (September 1999 to July 2002).
- Supervisor (April 1998 to September 1999).
- Staff Accountant/Senior Associate (August 1997 to April 1998).
- Financial Associate (January to August 1997).
Writing Responsibilities at The Vanguard Group.
- Articles for monthly company newsletter.
- Direct mail marketing pieces sent to shareholders.
- Summary documents and reporting templates for company-wide initiative.
- Central communication database for company-wide initiative.
- Information Security awareness campaign, including bulletins for company-wide Intranet.
- Customized documentation and user materials for specialized electronic voting system.
- Procedural manuals for both accounting and project-based activities.
- Management reports.